Ask a Dentist   »  

What causes pain in Genial tubercles?

I have these weird little things hanging off the underside of my tongue. They are very painful and make it hard to eat or drink.
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 37 minutes later
Brief Answer: These are normal structures of our oral cavity. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing in. According to your query it seems that these are genial tubercles. Genial tubercles are normal structures of the oral cavity.These are soft tissue structures. Pain in these structures may be due to some infection,friction,burning because of hot food etc.... So please provide me relevant detail like,Is it a pair of little soft tissues?,so i will be in a better position to guide you. Waiting for your response. Nothing to get worried. Take care. Dr. Gunjan Gupta
Follow-up: What causes pain in Genial tubercles? 28 minutes later
It is a pair of soft tissues, yes. They look like little parallel tentacles sticking out of the underside of my tongue. When I looked closely, I saw that there are some smaller "tentacles" too, but those don't hurt as much. The one on the left is larger than the one on the right and it hurts more. The pain is like having bad canker sores, except that there are actually little flaps of skin dangling. The bigger one is at least 1 1/2 centimeters.
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 8 hours later
Brief Answer: I wish you could provide more details... Detailed Answer: Hello there, It might have been better if you had also described about your symptom. Anyway it would be better if you can provide me the following information too- 1. Since how many days you have the same problem? 2. Have you taken any medicine for the same of any other medical treatment? 3. Any Previous dental treatment? 4. Do you have history of allergies? 5. Did the pain develop after a spicy/hot food? 6. Was there an injury? Please provide me relevant thorough detail. If the pain is troubling you now, you can safely apply topical pain mouth gels containing paracetamol. Your pharmacist will know about it. Waiting for your response. Take care. Dr. Gunjan Gupta