What causes pain and tingling sensation in hands?

During the day my hands hurt and have a tingling sensation at night when I sleep my hands fall asleep I wake up and have to massage them to get the blood flow back in do you know why that would happen
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Carpal Tunnel SYndrome. Check Sugar, Thyroid level Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. I have gone through your query and understand your concern. The Pain and tingling sensation in hands is most commonly due to Carpel Tunnel syndrome. This is due to the compression of one of the nerve in wrist supplying the hand called Median nerve. There are few main causes for carpel tunnel syndrome which we have investigate further 1. Hypothyroidism. Check your thyroid hormones level TSH, Free T4 and T3. 2. Diabetes mellitus Check your Fasting and Postprandial blood sugar as well as HbA1c. 3. Rheumatoid Arthritis Check for any Rheumatoid factor in your blood. You must need the physical examination by your Primary Care Physician to rule out any other neurological causes. He may advise nerve testing. Carpal Tunnel syndrome is also very common in pregnant women. Please follow the following procedures till you complete your investigations. 1. Stop activities that cause numbness and pain. 2. Rest your wrist longer between activities. 3. Ice your wrist for 10 to 15 minutes 1 or 2 times an hour. 4. Try taking nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) to relieve pain and reduce swelling. 5. Wear a wrist splint at night to keep your wrist in a neutral position. This takes pressure off your median nerve. Your wrist is in a neutral position when it is straight or only slightly bent. Holding a glass of water is an example of your wrist in a neutral position. Hope this helps. Please reply for further queries. Wishing you good health. Regards, Dr.Manjeth XXXXXXX G