What causes lower abdominal pain?

My 2 year old daughter has been complaining of stomach pain for the past 3 weeks. It all started after I got sick about a month ago, then she kinda got the same stomach bug I had. It lasted us both a couple days then we felt better. So when we noticed she was feeling better we thought "all is back to normal". Then she started saying her tummy hurts just out of the blue. When she says this, we then ask where and she points to her belly button area. Other than saying her "my tummy hurts" she has been acting normal and feeling fine, no fever or vommitting or any other symptoms. After 2 weeks of hearing her say "my tummy hurts" more than 5 times a day we took her to see her Pediatrician. She said it could be some residual pains left over from the stomach bug she had but just to be sure the Dr. ordered a stool sample to be tested. We haven't gotten the results yet but just thought if ask here to see if anyone else had any ideas as to what it could be. Being a worried parent I let my mind wander to some bad scenarios and make my self worry even more.
Posted Sun, 23 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Do not worry. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to health care magic. I can understand your concern. There could be several causes of stomach ache. If the pain is in the lower part of the abdomen we think of causes like urinary tract infection. In such cases the child may complain of burning urination and there may be increased frequency of urination. A urine examination will confirm the diagnosis. Infections of the colon can be associated with stomach ache. If the pain is more in the upper part of the abdomen we think of causes like acid peptic disease. There could be several other causes also for stomach ache in children. Even a throat infection may be associated with stomach ache. Some times there may not be any specific cause for stomach ache. We consider this when the systemic examination is normal and investigations like stool, urine examination, ultrasound etc are normal. When a child has some worries they may complain of stomach ache. Force feeding when a child does not want to eat, tensions in the family, sibling problems etc. can precipitate such problems. But before this other causes of pain abdomen should be ruled out by a complete physical examination and investigations depending on the physical examination findings. Continue to ask further queries as required. Hope this helps. Take care. Dr Y V Siva Sankara Murty M.D.(Pediatrics) Associate Professor of Pediatrics