What causes knee pain while standing up?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi there! I'm getting knee(leg) pain recently. I have not hurt it anywhere recently, not have I had this kind of pain earlier. But it had started recently. I'm not able to walk for atleast 5 seconds once i get up from my chair! Do you see any serious issues around the same? Please let me know.
Posted Mon, 24 Mar 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Slight modifications in your life style can help. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. You might be suffering from patellar tendinitis or chondromalacia patellae, which causes pain in your knee when you get up from chair . This type of knee pain related to overuse or physical activity. Slight modifications in your life style can help. - Do regular knee exercises (quadriceps and hamstrings). - Always warm up before exercising and cool down afterwards. Stretch your quadriceps and hamstrings. - Lose weight if you are overweight. Every pound that you are overweight puts about 5 extra pounds of pressure on your knee cap when you go up and down stairs. - If you have flat feet, try special shoe inserts and arch supports (orthotics). - Make sure your running shoes are made well, fit well, and have good cushioning I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care