What causes joint and muscle pain in body?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I am having a pain on shoulder join on right hand side, and now the pain is increased and reflected to top 3 spinal cords. Now a days I am having pain at my nerves of legs as well as hands also. It seems the nerves are stretching. I am also having pain on my finger tips. So what could be the cause of this pain?
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Cause could be nerve root compression. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. What you are experiencing is called 'Radiculopathy'. It basically suggests entrapment of a nerve root in your cervical spine in its origin or course. It can be caused by lifting weights, episodes of over-exertion during work, long hours on computer, inappropriate posture while sleeping or sitting, lack of proper nutrition-exercises-rest-recreation or any other relevant past medical history. If it has been persistent or even increasing since few days, you need to visit your orthopaedician. Depending upon the clinical findings they might ask you to get an MRI done, which shall help establish a diagnosis and in turn allow one to formulate a treatment plan. Let me assure you that this is temporary and self limiting illness that usually the treatment goes in following lines: rest, lifestyle modifications (namely- avoiding pillow while sleeping, following a healthy diet plan, maintaining suitable posture while working on computer/driving, avoiding any activity that strikes neck discomfort), medications (that your physician prescribes) and most important physiotherapy ( in form of neck exercises, cervical traction if required along with local ultrasonics). In case the pain is not adequately relieved with the present treatment then you may need oral muscle relaxants and methylcobalamnin supplements for proper relief. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: What causes joint and muscle pain in body? 13 minutes later
Thank you for your quick reply. I am satisfied with your answer, but one thing more I want to know is that, is there any chances of thyroid? Symptons looks like so!!!
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not suggestive of thyroid Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Your symptoms are not suggestive of thyroid.Do not worry. Follow a healthy life style as I had mentioned. Hope this discussion was useful. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service. You can consult me again directly through my profile WWW.WWWW.WW