What causes itchiness in labia?

I was wondering. I've been having this on and off Itch only on my outer vulva/labia since last September and it's now January. I've been to the doctors bout 5 times last year and each time my wet preps would come out negative and when they would take a look at my vagina they said everything looked normal, however, last November the doctor said I had bacterial vaginosis but after taking the antibiotic for ten days I still had the same itch. Ive been using the same body soap (baby soap) and dove soap, and the same Landry detergent for years, I wear cotton underwear and I shower at least once a day.I was wondering what are my chances of this itch being vulva cancer or HPV? The only time I don't have an itch is after I shower and wear no underwear otherwise I usually start itching at work.
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for submitting your question. I can appreciate that this itch is quite aggravating and at times unsettling. Regarding the chances that it represents an underlying cause such as HPV or cancer, these chances are very low if there are no associated skin changes (coloration, thickness, bumps, etc). HPV infection of the labia usually presents itself as small bumps or wart-like growths. It is possible that you are experiencing dry skin in this area and a sensitive skin, hypoallergenic lotion might be helpful; also, it might be possible that you are experiencing a local skin yeast infection, which requires a physical examination for diagnosis. In light of this itching, please do not use hydrocortisone cream in the area, unless specifically indicated by a physician after a proper physical examination. If the itching doesn't improve, a dermatology consultation would be very reasonable. I hope this helps and thank you again for submitting your question. Take care, Dr G