What causes heavy periods?

hi I have been experiencing heavy periods with clots for the last 5 years, ...3 years ago I started to get a lot of pelvic pain...right through my cycle. I had lots of investigations done including a d and c, and was told that my uterus was other issues, and given tranemic acid tablets (?) the pain eased after the d and c ..but came back after a year and the bleeding got heavier. moved overseas then had some more tests in Australia. gynae said that my uterus was bulky but not overly large (10cm long) and put in a mirena..hoping this would help with pain and bleeding. Bleeding reduced for first 3 months..then started getting a lot worse. pain better. returned to doctor..and she is suggesting a hysterectomy she isn't convinced that an ablation would do the trick I am 46 years old have had three children any advice would be gratefully recived. Currently on a synthetic progesterone pill once a day but my gynae doesn't want me on this for more than 3 months. I have been treated for anaemia
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Ablation can also help. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. The persistent heavy bleeding with no detectable uterine fibroids is likely to be due to endometrial causes and hormonal imbalance. Other causes are bleeding disorders, vitamin K deficiency, stress, polyps and pelvic inflammatory disease. Endometrial causes can be treated with endometrial ablation since taking a hormone therapy is not advisable on a long term basis. But the effect of endometrial ablation may be short lived and can be associated with an intermittent spotting. You can discuss the pros and cons with your gynecologist and choose the best treatment for you. Taking a second opinion for another gynecologist will also be helpful. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL