What causes false pregnancy test result while treating hypothyroidism?

Question
I have hypothyroid and take eltroxin on daily basis. Can that give me a false positive pregnancy test?
Posted Sat, 18 Nov 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. A false positive pregnancy test result is unlikely and has no association with your hypothyroidism or your eltroxin intake. However, you can feel free to get it rechecked.

Let me know if I could help further.

Follow-up: What causes false pregnancy test result while treating hypothyroidism? 1 hour later
Thank you sir. Actually i had tested my thyroid 10 days ago and the the level came as 12. So the doctor i visited had increased my eltroxin dose from 50mcg to 100.
I had tested today for pregnancy and got positive result. Its been only 30 days since my last menstrual cycle. Not sure if that is early to check. That's why i wanted to know if it is a false positive?

Brief Answer:
Your doctor has done the right thing

Detailed Answer:
Your doctor has done the right thing.
The positive results can show up early as in this case. That does not mean that it is false positive.

Follow-up: What causes false pregnancy test result while treating hypothyroidism? 30 minutes later
Thanks a lot Sir.

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Let me know if I could be of any further assistance if you ever have a health related query in the future.