What causes dizziness and vertigo?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I cleaned my ears with the qtip and dug really deep and touched something.. That same night i felt slightly dizzy and then it went away...then 4 days later I had vertigo that was about 4 months ago - I woke up with the room spinning, my friend did the Epley maneuver, spinning stopped but I feel off-balance... I am slightly better however, when I walk I feel like Things are moving.. I feel like there is something bouncing in my head... Especially in the back of shifting sensation.. I feel like it's my right side...but drs say it's not my inner ear...went to neuro and he ordered a lot of Bloodwork.. My routine Bloodwork was all normal...
Posted Fri, 21 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be due to many causes. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Having head spins all the time may be associated with many reasons which need to be ruled out one by one in your case- 1. Abnormal position of the neck- avoid using a pillow for a few days and see if it improves. 2.Migraine headaches are also associated with vertigo or spinning of head. Do you have any association with headache? 3. Inner ear problems- due to inflammation or miniere's disease- Can be ruled out on examination by a specialist. 4. Stroke causing compromised blood supply to the inner ear. This can be ruled out by your general physician after looking for all the risk factors. 5. cervical spondylosis- usually associated with pain in the neck. 6. Metabolic conditions such as hyponatremia You need to rule out the above conditions and then get the treatment according to the diagnosis. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: What causes dizziness and vertigo? 3 minutes later
I had MRI and mra of neck and head... All normal. Nothing spins... The room doesn't spin.. I just feel off balanced. I don't get headaches...
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Stroke and migraine ruled out. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. I have seen the attached report. The possibility of hyponatraemia and cervical spondylosis needs to be ruled out after examination and blood tests. migraine stroke and inner ear problems are ruled out. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards