What causes difficulty in breathing and stomach bulging when it's not wheezing?

Sep 2013

I am having a hard time breathing and my stomach is bulging out several inches. I do have asthma and this feels much different. It's not wheezing .What are your thoughts?
Posted Fri, 27 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Difficult breathing. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXX XXXXXXX Thanks for the query to H.C.M.Forum. Since you are a chronic asthmatic patient , so I would come up with these possibilities , these includes. 1 Cor pulmonale , diagnosis can be confirmed by X ray chest and clinical as well physical examination by a physician.Cor pulmonale is defined as an enlargement of right ventricle secondary to abnormalities of the lungs , thorax ( as may be in your case due to chronic asthma), pulmonary ventilation or circulation. 2 COPD i.e. congestive obstructive pulmonary disease , diagnosis can be confirmed by physical examination as well clinical examination and X ray chest. 3 As you mentioned in your query that there is bulging of stomach , so all these symptoms may be due to CONGESTIVE HEART FAILURE ( C H F ) . Diagnosis can be confirmed by E C G , chest X ray and physical examination. As fluid accumulation and edema is a characteristic feature of C H F . C H F develops in old asthmatic patient. At the age of 59 , difficult breathing , bulging stomach are concerning .You need to investigated with E K G , ECHO CHEST X RAY to isolate the case. I would recommend you visit a pulmonologist at earliest and sort this problem. Hope this information will be helpful for you. Further any question I will reply in follow up. Good luck. Dr. HET