What causes diarrhea in children when suffering from stomach bug?

18 month old had stomach bug that started 6 days ago (rest of the family had it too) , but he was still throwing up every 12 hours then it was 24 hours then it was almost 3 days before he threw up again. He also had diarrhea once a day for 2 days and is now going once a day but it has form to it, but is pale colored. Finally started getting appetite back and after almost 3 days threw up and it was very thick and had lots of whole pieces of food in it. No fever.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: Relax Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your query. Relax,there is nothing to you mentioned whole family has symptoms so it is food borne illness which has taken its due course. Now as vomiting and loose motions are settled so nothing to worry,he will return to his preillness state in couple of days. I suggest you to give him plenty of fluids and soft bland diet. Give lemonade,curd,boiled potato,rice porridge,vegetable soup. Hope I have answered your query,let me know if you have any further question. Wishing your child good health. God bless.
Follow-up: What causes diarrhea in children when suffering from stomach bug? 1 minute later
Everyone else was completely better in 1-2 days and he was fine yesterday and today until 7pm. That does not seem normal for just stomach bug.
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Relax Detailed Answer: Thanks for your follow up. Children and adults have difference in immunity. In young child it takes longer time to recover. Gastrointestinal infections are mostly viral in nature and takes time to settle. Since he is active and is not having any associated symptom like fever,pain abdomen so nothing to worry. Hope this helps. Take care.