What causes delay in urination?

My boyfriend was throwing up yesterday and had diarrhea. he has not urinated in over 10 hours. Today he has been drinking Gatorade and is able to keep solid foods down. Is it serious that he has not urinated.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Prasad 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: No urine over 24 hours is concerning... Detailed Answer: Hi, I would be concerned if he doesn't pass urine over 24 hours. However if at this moment, if he starts vomiting again, then I would recommend you take him to the nearest ER for fluid management. Other concerning symptoms that you need to be aware of include abdominal cramps, fever and stool mixed with mucous and blood. I am glad he is fine now. Encourage him to drink plenty of fluids - gatorade is fine. I suggest my patients plain water (a glass) mixed with a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar; it is inexpensive and equally effective as gatorade. He can start a low spicy diet along with it. He should get over this intestinal infection in the next couple of days. In short, don't be concerned; drink plenty of fluids and watch the progress carefully. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications. Regards