What causes constipation in babies?

General Surgeon
Hi, My four month baby did not pass stool for three day as of today. In past seven days he is been irregular - 1 day no stool then 1 day less than normal and now 3 days again nothing. He is been breast fed and active when awake. Takes feeds normally, urinates regularly and passes lots of gas. What needs to be given to him to pass stools or something which his mother needs to eat? Thanks XXXX
Posted Sun, 2 Mar 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 27 minutes later
Brief Answer: Glycerine Suppository will be helpful Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Mr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Being a parent myself and also a Pediatric Surgeon i understand your concern and apprehension. Every infant have their own bowel habits. They sometimes pass stools after every feeds and sometimes they may pass stools every alternate day. There is no cause for concern 1. If there is no distension of abdomen 2. Baby is accepting feeds well 3. Urine output is adequate 4. No vomiting I would suggest you the following 1. Have a look at anus: is there any redness around the anal orifice or is there any ulcer at the anal opening (fissure). In the absence of these there is no cause for concern. 2. Glycerine Suppository (helen"s) will be helpful in smooth evacuation of stools. If it's not available then Pediatric Dulcolax suppository will be helpful. The suppository are to be put inside the anus . 3. Continue exclusive breastfeeding 4. No special diet for mother Rest be assured there is no cause for concern. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon