What causes constant hip pain post delivery?

I have delivered a baby 5 months back.. i have constant pain in hip joints which makes it difficult for me to walk even for 15 minutes. I want to start exercising now but cannot becuase of the pain. Pls suggest what to do and when can i start rigrous exercising like running on tredmill so that i can loose weight at the same time get rid of this joint pain.
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 3 hours later
Brief Answer: light exercises and dieting should be started Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX The pain in hips is unusual problem in post delivery period. It precludes excessive exertion and vigorous exercises. I recommend my patients to be evaluated for other causes of joint pains and get treated for the same by a local physician. Once you are pain free then you should do light exercises like brisk walking and later on resume jogging and heavier options. Meanwhile you can reduce weight by dieting and rational eating. I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you. Take Care!
Follow-up: What causes constant hip pain post delivery? 3 hours later
Thanks for your reply.. However I read on the internet that hip joint pain post delivery is common among women which can stay forever or which may go after 6-8 months or when you stop breastfeeding. Do you suggest physiotherapy for this kind of pain or this wont help in my case? Thanks in advance!! Regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 2 days later
Brief Answer: Get local examination & x-ray scan done Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Welcome back. Without local examination it is quite difficult to explain the cause of pain. In pregnancy X-ray is contraindicated, but now you can undergo x-ray scan to detect cause. Sometimes you can have joints and bone pain during breast feeding due to calcium deficiency so get your serum calcium level done. As you are having pain during ante-natal & post-natal period it is not related to pregnancy absolutely. So consult your orthopedician -Get local examination , x-ray scan & serum calcium level done. Pregnancy does not cause long lasting bone or joint damage per se. I will be available for your further queries. Regards,
Follow-up: What causes constant hip pain post delivery? 3 minutes later
Ok Thanks a lot Doctor.. :-)
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Take Care! Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome back. Wish you a great health. Take Care.