What causes burning pain in colon when suffering from diarrhea?

Dec 2012

Last week I had intense burning diarrhea for a few days. My colon feels raw and I have sharp burning pains up in my colon. I have had very little bowel movement in a 3 days and have taken stool softeners and bulking laxatives. I feel very bloated and it hurts to try to strain to go to the bathroom.
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 45 minutes later
Brief Answer: You maybe suffering from colopathy Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX It seems to me you maybe suffering from colon or colorectal disorder which might be due to an infection, tumor, compacted stool etc. In any case, you will need to be examined through a digital rectal exams, laboratory tests including stool exams and maybe blood tests. There are a wide number of bowel infections that can lead to those symptoms. Those will need to be identified then appropriate antibiotics provided to get rid of them. Your symptoms also appear to be that of irritable bowel syndrome (which is considered as exclusion diagnosis). I just you get a colonoscopy done after you must have gone through the doctor's exams and laboratory tests. If stool softeners and laxatives do not help at this point, then it will also be wise to rule out compacted stool which might lead to bowel obstruction. See a gastroenterologist is highly recommended. Hope this helps and wish you the best. Dr. Nsah