What causes blurred vision?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hi, My Niece who is 5 years old told me as we stood outside her school that she saw double.. what happened was that her two friends were standing in front of a fence that had snow behind it, they were chatting about lipgloss and my niece told me she was trying to grab the other fence, cause she had seen two… she was staring intently at the lipgloss in her friends hand.. she was fine for rest of day then 4 days later, today, she said as she was speaking to me while focused at the wall behind me that she saw double/blurry.. everything else is fine… how concerned should i be!
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Further evaluations determine if concerned or not. Detailed Answer: Hi, Having such episodes of blurred vision is not common for healthy children. I suggest to get her eyes checked as she might need to wear glasses or other eye problems. I also suggest to monitor her blood sugar and blood pressure at the moment when she feels the blurred vision, record the results for future reference. As she is your niece, ask if she is worried about anything in her house (family members) or if there is anyone giving her troubles at school. If everything will result ok, then, should consult a pediatrician to run further neurological tests including MRI of head and neck or EEG to rule out brain problems. At the end, these are the possible options to get your niece helped. If nothing will come out, then, should not worry. But, first should run the tests and consultations before running into final conclusions. Hope it helped! Dr.Sonila
Follow-up: What causes blurred vision? 7 minutes later
she's shown no other signs that her eyes are disturbing her or anything else.. i know sometimes when we 'zone out' when someones speaking to others we can find ourselves staring and then feeling like we need to focus our eyes.. I'm just very scared its neurological even tho she's very healthy and shows no other symptoms… her eating habits could be better.. we have an apt for our family doctor on Monday… so this is not at all something normal? toddlers/school aged children dazing and then re focusing eyes?!
Answered by Dr. Sonila Borici 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Further evaluations to get final conclusions... Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for following up. If your niece is having double vision while dazing and then re-focusing the eyes while she is playing, that could be normal. However, as she has had 2 episodes until now, I strongly suggest to get her evaluated by the pediatrician and run neurological examinations to exclude brain problems. It is great that you scheduled the appointment with pediatrician on Monday. The sooner the better. Once again, if they will be resulted normal, then, we can definitely conclude safely that she is alright, only child's things. Thank you! Dr.Sonila