What causes blood in urine and severe back pain?

May 2013
I have recently been diagnosed with blood in my urine and have severe back pain what should I ask my doctor
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hematuria Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Blood in urine is called hematuria. It may occur due to causes like: -Urinary tract infection -Trauma -Stones in the urinary tract -Dehydration, strenuous exercises etc. -Diseases of kidney like pyelonephritis etc. -Tumors of the urinary tract -Using medicines like heparin, aspirin, penicillin etc. -Inherited causes like sickle cell anemia, alport syndrome etc. Some of these conditions can present with backache. So, after consulting your doctor, he will take detailed history relating to your problem. And depending on the symptoms investigations can be ordered like urine microscopy, ultrasound of kidney etc. If doctor suggests you may need to go for more specific investigations like CT scan, cystoscopy etc. Possibly with this workup the cause for your problem can be identified and treated. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the response, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.