Ask a Urologist   »  

What causes bands of dead skin around the penis?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Penis skin is no different than the skin of the rest of the body.

The dead skin around the penis is due to irritation of penile skin by friction due to rubbing by tight clothing, foreplay, intercourse, or masturbation.

Some viral fevers may cause peeling of dead skin in the recovery phase.

Exfoliation of dead skin some times due to irritant reaction of penile skin to soaps, lotions, and ointments.

And the other causes are like psoriasis, eczema, and healing stage of some local infections, icthyosis, and usage of some drugs.

But physical examination by a Dermatologist is important to diagnose the skin problem.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: What causes bands of dead skin around the penis? 5 hours later
I have never experienced this type of problem in my 42 years
These are perfeclty shaped bands of dead skin that form narrow rings of dead skin that adhere to the shaft of my penis, almost looks like someone burnt my penis in a pattern of rings starting just below the head all the way down the shaft to my scrotum seperated by what appears to be somewhat wider bands of healthy tissue like "Tiger Stripes" This sucks and isn't going away Is there an std that couldve caused this have you ever heard of this?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 15 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

I can understand your concern.

STDs usually present urethra discharge, blisters, ulcers, and with swellings in the groin region.

Presentation with bands of dead skin around the penis is not a manifestation of STDs.

This bands may be resulted from the friction due to rubbing from clothing, or due to intercourse or masturbation.

I advise you to consult a Dermatologist for the examination and for treatment for this skin problem.

Regards.