What causes acute numbness and burning itch in hands when having history of heart disease and bypass?

I am 80 yrs old. I have acute numbness often each day in my hands and fingers that develop into an intense burning itch....many times the only way I can slow/stop the itch is to immerse my hands in cold water... If relevant, I have a heart disease history, bypass etc... the condition in my hands is incresing in intensity... What can cause this?
Posted Mon, 23 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Claudication Detailed Answer: Hi I would think of claudication I mean spasm of the blood vessels supplying the hands. The blood flow is not complete to the peripheral areas of your body. The reason for this are many in older people. It could be similar to what happened to the heart and that is why you underwent bypass. Physicians generally prescribe aspirin and pentoxifylline in such cases. They partly help to restore the circulation and symptoms alleviate. I am sure you are already on aspirin for heart disease. I suggest you to visit a general surgeon/vascular surgeon for appropriate medication. Hope this helpful.