What causes abdominal pain when laying down?

I have been having pain in my stomach area it seems like its in my ribs. It only really happens when I'm laying down or sometimes if i cough or yawn. Last night it got really bad, and I couldn't sleep facing down like i normally do or even bend my legs without it being excruciating. I just need to know if this is simple muscle strain or if i need to go for a drs visit. I'm on vacation so it would be hard to do as I don't have my medical insurance card with me
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possible causes to pain in the stomach area... Detailed Answer: Hi, The pain you are facing could be related to muscle strain, especially if you have done some abdominal exercises while being on vacation. Furthermore, if the vacation you are passing in another city/country (away from home); then, the climate and foods changes can also affect your stomach discomfort. Next, such pain could also be related to up-coming periods (pre-menstrual syndrome). I'd advise to: - avoid carbonated,citrus foods/juices - eat often and small portions, slowly - do not lay down immediately after eating - get some chamomile tea and acetaminophen for the pain. If the pain won't improve in a couple of days or would worsen, you should contact a physician as soon as possible. All the best! Dr.Alba