What care the symptoms of Colitis?

I have had loose stools for 6 weeks. I go 2 or 3. Times in the morning. The first time is almost normal. The second or last time is loose. The color is paler than my normal. I have never seen blood or pus or mucous. I eat bland. I have no weight change. I had a colonoscopy three years ago in November. I went to my gastroenterologist after three weeks and she did many blood and stool tests that were all 'negative'. I go back to see her APRN in another week. She had me come back in four weeks. Do I have colitis since everything else has been ruled out? I have a little more gas than usual for me. I sometimes feel during the day that I have to go but I don't. I have not taken Immodium AD since jJanuary 9th.
Posted Thu, 13 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Yes. May be a Colitis. Need investigation reports. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have gone through your query and understand your concern. There are many causes for chronic diarrhea. As you suspected, this chronic diarrhea may be due to colitis. But you do not have any blood or pus or mucus in stool. As your stool is pale, it may be due to bile acid diarrhea or malabsorbtion or immune disorder. And also your blood and stool reports were normal. What are blood and stool tests done? if possible upload the reports and it will be helpful in guiding you for further to diagnose the cause. Do you have any abdominal pain? Do you had any similar episode earlier? Have you traveled recently to any place? Do you have any chronic disease like thyroid problems, diabetes etc? Please upload the investigation reports for better understanding and further diagnosis. Waiting for your response.
Follow-up: What care the symptoms of Colitis? 8 hours later
I have had no pain at all. I have not travelled. I do not have the results of my blood tests but all were negative. She did a CBC. I have no other chronic diseases. She did a blood test for thyroid.
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 2 hours later
Brief Answer: cancer or colitis. Colonoscopy and biopy examinati Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your reply. It seems that these diarrhea is not due to infectious or thyroid. Because your blood CBC as well as stool and thyroid tests are normal. And you have not traveled recently to anywhere. As you suspected, it may be due to due to colitis. But one bitter thing to rule out at this age is malignancy. In Chronic diarrhea patients who are aged above 45, i initially investigate for any malignancy or colitis. Thus you need further investigations like Colonoscopy, Flexible Sigmoidoscopy and Abdominal Ultrasound. If there is any abnormality in these investigations, we take biopsy tissues. This biopsy tissue will be sent for further microscopic examination to rule out any microscopic colitis or cancer or other diseases. Till then take plenty of water and electrolyte drinks to compensate the water loss. Hope this helps. Please write back for further queries. Wishing you good health.
Follow-up: What care the symptoms of Colitis? 2 days later
I went to my gastroenterologist on Wednesday. She said since I was getting better she would not do another colonoscopy now. I am due for one in October 2015. She really did not think it is colitis since it is getting better. I need to now take 2 FiberCon tablets twice a day with eight ounces of water. That will help the stool have more structure. I have no pain and no blood. My tests showed no blood in stool. All blood tests were negative (CBC, CMBT, thyroid). All liver function tests were normal. She was going to do another colonoscopy if my symptoms got worse in the last three weeks but they improved. My stools are getting more formed. She told me I did not need to return for another follow up appointment. She said to return to normal eating habits because I told her I have been eating bland.
Answered by Dr. Manjeth Kumar G 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue Fibercon and eat well. Bulk forming laxat Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank for your reply. I seems you have recovered form the symptoms. As all the tests were normal, it should be a temporary functional bowel disturbances. As per treating doctor told, return to normal diet habits and take Fibercon (Polycarbophil). It is nothing but a bulk- forming laxative and can be tried for this. All the best and wishing you good XXXXXXX If you have any further queries, let me know.