What can cause recurrent thrush?

i have been having a recurrent thrush for a year now,. i would like to know what else i can do as i have tried all the hygiene steps suggested by my Doctor but it keeps coming back anytime before my period
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Y V Siva Sankara Murty 3 hours later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

There are several causes of recurrent thrush.

Are you on any medication?
If you are on treatment with antibiotics for longer duration the normal bacteria which protect you from the fungus will die. So this problem appears.

Is your blood sugar level in normal range?
Diabetes can cause recurrent thrush.
Do you have any complaint like increased appetite, increased thirst, increased frequency of urination etc. A blood sugar profile will help in confirming the diagnosis.

I hope you are not on any steroids or some other medications like chemotherapeutic agents for some other cause. The decreased immunity during such conditions is responsible for thrush in such a scenario.

Most of the times the cause of this recurrent thrush may not be identified. May be the individual just more susceptible for thrush.

Your doctor after confirming the diagnosis will treat you with topical antifungal and some times will give you oral antifungal medication. The hygiene methods you said are already being followed by you. But thrush is more because of increased cleaning of the area altering the bacteria there. Do not wear any tight clothing or synthetic clothing.

Hope this helps.