What can cause giddiness and weakness in legs with a history of stroke, epileptic fits, breast cancer and hypertension?

May 2014

Hello Sir, Last Friday(13/12/13) early in the morning my mother felt giddiness in her head when she was doing her daily routine activities. She was also complaining of weakness in her both legs, for that she relaxed for sometime.But immediate just after that she vomit out, and after that she was completely all right. Now two days before i. e. on 18/12/13, she felt again giddiness but not any vomit like sensation and after that every thing is all right. Her age is 45 years, ht 5 feet 3 inch, wt 62 kg. Her past medical history includes: 1) 9 years before she had a rt. side lacunar infarct stroke, but she recovered fully from it. 2) 3 years before she had epileptic fits started but its under control due to medication she was taking, which she stopped now one month back after her doctor's instruction. 3) In 2010, she was operated for left side breast cancer by MRM procedure. she took chemotherapy for it and now she is on hormone replacement therapy (anastrazole 1mg). 4) she is also hypertensive for which she is taking medication and its under control. Now I'm scared why she had attacks of giddiness, Please guide me by your suggestion....!! Thank you
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please find detailed answer below Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, Thanks for writing in to us. I have read through your query in detail. Present symptoms include giddiness, weakness and resolution vomiting on 13-12-2013. Giddiness again on 18-12-2013. She also has history of right sided lacunar infarct (?stroke) 9 years back and and undergone MRM left breast in 2010 now on hormone replacement therapy. On medications for hypertension and epilepsy (stopped one month back). In this situation we have to think of possibility of neurological condition like stroke or transient ischemic attacks (mini strokes) and anything to do with the cancer. With above history, the first thing you should do is to take her to a neurologist and get her examined completely. A CT scan or MRI scan of head might be asked to know if there is any new even related to the brain. A carotid artery Doppler may also be asked to see if the flow of blood from heart to brain is normal. With the neurologists opinion you must also consult the surgeon who treated your mother for breast cancer. Hope your query is answered, Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek