What can be done to treat chronic cough?

i have had a chronic cough for 1.5 weeks plus a bump behind my ear with a brown spot on it.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later

Having a cough for 10 days is a common problem.The bump behind your ear seems to be a swollen lymph node if the lump is also recent in its origin. There is infection in the throat which is causing the cough and the lymph node swelling behind the ear. Once the infection subsides, the swelling will also subside in next 2-4 weeks. I hope you do not smoke.

Regarding the cough, if it is associated with expectoration then a throat swab culture followed by a suitable antibiotic is needed for treatment.
If it is a dry cough then it is usually viral in origin and does not need any antibiotic.

Meanwhile you can have steam inhalation - Take hot water in a vessel / steam machine, put eucalyptus oil in it. Inhale it by covering yourself completely. This is effective home remedy.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.