Had constant cough. Given Amoxicillin for ear infection and BP medicine. What causes inability to speak and eat?

My 30 yr. old son has had a constant cough for several days. He went to a clinic, was told he has a mild inner ear infection and was given Amoxicillin and Blood pressure medication even though his bp was fine. Today, he can hardly speak or eat. Could this be asthma or allergies? He also has a basement bedroom. I'm concerned about possible mold also playing a part in this constant cough. What is your opinion?
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Allergy and infection both are possible. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to health care magic It seems from the history that your 30 year old son is having constant cough for several days. He also had asthma for which he was on treatment for a short time. The causes for chronic cough can be Low grade respiratory tract infection Allergies Drug induced cough for drugs like ACE inhibitors used for control of blood pressure Since he has basement bedroom with probably damp environment it is possible to have allergy as a trigering cause for his chronic cough. But since he is already having middle ear infection it seems the involvement of the upper respiratory tract along with middle ear leading to acute laryngitis or pharyngitis is the probable cause for him to not able to speak or eat today. Hence I advice you to continue antibiotics as prescribed by your doctor and probably he requires anti allergic medications in together with antibiotics. Hope I have answered your query. Thank you