What ca cause pain under rib cage along with diarrhea and numb feeling right leg?
User rating for this question
Hi. After heaving drinking (10 + full strength beers) I get an annoying pain around the bottom of my far right rib cage. It's not overly painful but more dull and irritating. Obviously it shouldn't be occurring. Accompanying this I get some diarrhea, and a numb type feeling in my right leg calf muscle. The latter symptom has always occurred after heavy drinking for at least a decade. I have no other symptoms. The pain near my liver is of most concern. If I abstain from drinking the problem goes away, so yes I've already answered my own question. But I'm interested in a few specific ideas about what may be wrong. I've had 2 liver function tests in the last 5 years. On both occasions the GP said everything was normal aside from a borderline reading on one of the enzymes. That prompted them to ask me how much I drink. But as I said they didn't seem concerned at all. Thanks.
Posted Fri, 17 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi.You may get a scan to know the cause of pain. Detailed Answer: Hi.Welcome and thanks for writing on XXXXXXX I have throughly read your query and deeply understand your concern. Pain in the liver after drinking is basically a sign of some underlying condition like fatty liver, and it is very important to diagnose this condition (by ultrasound abdomen), and treat it at the earliest.This is due to the damage caused to the liver owing to prolonged alcohol abuse beyond the capacity of the liver to process it.I suggest you to get a scan done at the earliest. LFT (liver function test) show rise in enzymes like (SGOT, SGPT, GGT etc) in persons who drink.This is the reason why your GP asked about your habits. Hope this answers your query. Keep us posted for further queries. Thanks.
Follow-up: What ca cause pain under rib cage along with diarrhea and numb feeling right leg? 1 hour later
If I have a fatty liver what chances of a full recovery do I have if I stop drinking?
Answered by Dr. Praveen 49 minutes later
Brief Answer: Hi.Alcoholic fatty liver is reversible. Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for writing back. Fatty liver changes are early and reversible changes of excessive alcohol consumption.Since it's reversible chances are pretty high. But if alcohol consumption is continued this can lead to cirrhosis and further liver cancer in 10% of the cases. Hope this helps.
People also viewed
- Flutter in my duodenum
- Can diarrhea lead to rib cage and stomach pain
- Stomach pain diarrhea pain below rib cage
- Going to the emergency room with severe psoriasis
- Diarrhea and pain in left side on rib cage
- Heart palpitations after drinking energy drink
- Lump underneath breast near upper rib hernia concerned
- Pain on lower stomach bloating felt like pulled muscle remedy
- Lower abdominal pain pinkish discharge after taking pill reason
- What causes pain under the right rib cage
- Gustatory rhinitis trigger
- Hcg risk factors
- Pain in lower right side feels better applying pressure reason
- Pain under right rib cage diarrhea
- Pale stool painful abdomen what do symptoms indicate