What are the the long term side effects of forteo?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
10 years ago I took forte with ok results. could not tolerate fosomax (reflux). had a reaction to recast. then went on oral boniva. have significant bone loss. am active 73 year old--sports, workouts etc. am mistaken for in my 50's by some and no older than 60, which is to say i'm in really outstanding health. i started another 12 month round of forteo but have concerns being the drug not tested for a second 12 month round, therefore no reliable data at this point. what's your opinion? and would it make any sense at all to take teriparatide every over day for 24 months. these are complicated questions because of lack of data so ok to not have an answer.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Long term side effects of forteo are not studied. Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case with diligence. Long term side effects of forteo are not studied so it’s better to hold medication if you have taken for 20 months. If you have taken previously only for 12 months then you can start medication consulting your doctor calculating risk –benefit ratio. Check your bone strength with DEXA SCAN and you can start medication according to level of osteoporosis, You need to start supplement of calcium with vitamin D, vit B12, I will advise you to do regular physiotherapy and exercises as my patients find much relief by these therapies. You need to take diet rich in calcium and vitamin D. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.