What are the symptoms of schizophrenia?

Hi, My father was admitted to hospital 5 yr back .after that he was not in any type of medication.That time he used to think bad of my mom. Even used to call her eveytime and accuse her of having affair . Again now this has started.Is these the symptons of Schizophrenia.
Posted Sun, 23 Feb 2014 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: probably psychosis, can be due to schizophrenia Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome to HCM! Your father has suspiciousness towards your mother and there a past history of similar complaints which were not treated but he was hospitalized ... you want to know if it is due to schizophrenia or not. From my clinical experience I can tell you that your father has a psychotic disorder, whether it is schizophrenia or something else, (like acute psychosis or delusional disorder) needs to be checked. In schizophrenia there are several diagnostic feature apart from suspiciousness- like talking or smiling to self, other impossible beliefs - like camera in stomach ( the things which are not possible on earth ) , etc. So, some more information is needed on his symptomatology before one can diagnose him of having schizophrenia. ##However, there is a definite need for treatment, and with appropriate drugs ( like resperidone or olanzapine, etc.) these symptoms will go. please feel free to ask more questions for clarification If you are satisfied, kindly rate the answer and close the query Dr. Manisha Gopal MD psychiatry