What are the symptoms of hormonal imbalance ?

Age 30, Non smoker or drinker. Went to Doctor in April for my yearly and my lab work and pap smear were all normal. Everything looked good. I had started taking birth control in March because of very painful heavy periods. After being on the pill for a month it was amazing at how much better my monthlys had become. In July I was diagnosed with a sever sinus infection and given a Z-Pack (3pills). Me and my husband used the pull out method the next couple of times we had intercourse. I started my period on August 4th. Which was 2 days late. I had no cramping, and it was a very light period that lasted 2-3 days. My breast became very tender on the 4th, the day I started and continued to be very sore. I started my new pack of birth control pills on the 7th. Every since then me and my husband have not worried about protection. Today the 21st, I just went to the restroom and am lightly bleeding like I do when I first start. I was having cramps yesterday, was feeling very tired, hot flashing, and my legs were achy, all very normal when I start my period. I have taken several pregnancy test, all negative, and I just dont feel pregnant so I dont think I am. I like 5 pills before I start my sugar pills in my pack. I was just wondering if I needed to go ahead and go back to the doctor even though I was just there 4 months ago and everything looked great. Also, should I continue taking the rest of my pack or start a new pack of pills tomorrow?? Thank you so much for your time.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thank you for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will try to provide you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

From the symptoms you have reported as well as the time course of your periods I am not concerned that you're pregnant at this time. What I think most likely happened is that you had a bit of a fluctuation of the hormones in your body including estrogen and progesterone. This led to some of the symptoms of breast swelling as well as a little bit of uterine bleeding.

I would recommend that you continue your current birth control pack as prescribed. I do not see any indication to visit with your doctor right now. The fact that your pregnancy tests have all been negative is also very reassuring. These tests are more and more reliable these days so I trust the results which you have reported.

I recommend for now that you refrain from sexual activity for the next three or four days about your body gains back its equilibrium. I would then repeat a pregnancy tests in 72 hours to confirm the fact that it is negative. As I mentioned earlier I would continue your birth control as you normally take them.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful informative and reassuring. If you have any additional questions I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert.