What are the survival chances for liver cancer with hepatitis B and diabetes?

Question
My brother was diagnosed with liver cancer this morning. He also has hepatitis B and is diabetic. He is in ICU. The doctor says the cancer is widely spread and his condition is critical. Can liver cancer spread so silently and be noticed at the critical stage. I don't understand. What are his options?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Follow-up: What are the survival chances for liver cancer with hepatitis B and diabetes? 13 minutes later
What are the survival chances for liver cancer? Is he going to die?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 22 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query,

Yes, Liver cancers can spread without producing any symptoms unless there is derangement in its function due to damage in its struture or due to secondary effects of the cancer like tumoor degenaration and tumor secretions.

The Prognosis of the condition can be explained well based on the tumor stage, cirrhosis, and also its extent of spread. Staging is done by various tests. Medical literature says "Patients able to undergo a curative resection have a median survival of as long as 4 years; patients who present when they are too ill to be treated have a median survival of 3 months.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them

Follow-up: What are the survival chances for liver cancer with hepatitis B and diabetes? 1 hour later
Thank you for your reply.
The doctors have decided to run more tests so as to be sure about the cancer. The progress he has made is that his skin is no longer yellow and only the eyes and tongue are yellow. Is this a good sign? What does it mean? How long will he be in ICU?

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 34 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for following up,

The yellowish discoloration he has now is due to raised Bilirubin ( waste product from dead blood ) levels. Yes , the progress he has made is a good sign , but it should be constant to decide about his overall health condition and chances of survival. The bilirubin levels in such cases are highly variable hence monitored every day.

The duration of his stay in the ICU can be determined by his lab parameters, and his wellbeing determined on examination.

The reports of the lab work up will be very helpful to me here to provide you idea about prognosis.

Wish him good health,

Follow-up: What are the survival chances for liver cancer with hepatitis B and diabetes? 12 hours later
The doctors have now confirmed that he does not have liver cancer but hepetitis B. What are the implications? His condition is no longer critical, he is stable but still in ICU.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later

Good to hear that the cancer has been ruled out.

Well Hepatitis B always presents as a acute infection with liver damage resulting in symptoms like jaundice, Metabolic derangement, fever , fatigue etc rarely needing ICU care.

I still stick to the fact that the duration of his stay in the ICU can be determined by his lab parameters, and his wellbeing determined on examination.

Well the complication of hepatitis B is what you have to be aware of , as the acute presentation of the infection do not stay for long and may not be serious in most of cases.The expected complications of the infection are Scarring of the liver (cirrhosis),Liver failure,Hepatitis D infection,Liver cancer,Kidney problems,Blood vessel inflammation (vasculitis),Portal Hypertension,Splenomegaly etc

Get him regularly examined to a doctor to rule out the above complication for a minimum of two years from now.

Wish him Good Health.