What are the side effects of taking the plan b pill several times within a few months?

May 2013
What are the long-term and short-term consequences of taking the plan b pill several times within a few months? Also can taking the plan b pill numerous times bring the onset of pcos.
Posted Mon, 27 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

The short term side effects of emergency contraceptive pills are,
-they can cause menstrual irregularities like,
if taken in the first half of cycle they can prepone the menstruation, if taken in the second half they can postpone the menstruation.
They can lead to spotting, brownish discharge etc in between periods,
-nausea, vomitings, fluid retention, bloating sensation of the abdomen, breast tenderness, headache, sinus congestion etc symptoms can occur.
-less effective than regular pills with around 13% of failure rate,
-will not protect against sexually transmitted diseases,

Long term side effects:
-Because of repeated usage of pill the pattern of ovulation can change, it may become delayed or gets inhibited which will cause problem in getting pregnant for some months.
-if pregnancy occurs after repeated intake of pill baby may have some kinds of defects,
-repeated usage will decrease the effectiveness of the pill,
-it can affect the growth of endometrium leading to altered menstruation that can lead to amenorrhea or polymenorrhea,
-if used frequently with less than two months interval, that can lead to arrest of growth of ovum leading to formation of cysts that may lead to poly cystic ovarian disease sometimes according to few studies.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.