What are the side effects of laser treatment for shortsightedness?

I have been using spectacles for the past 9 years for short sight problem. I have not changed my spectacles till now. Now I want to go for laser treatment to rectify the problem. I want to know side effects of it ( if any) , medication to be followed post treatment and precautions to be taken so that the problem will not revert in the future. It will be of great help if I get informed about the approximate cost of the treatment and the preferred clinics/ hospitals for the same.
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 2 hours later
Brief Answer: You can undergo laser refractive surgery. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to health care magic Iam Dr. DADAPEER K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eyes. It seems from the history that you are having refractive error most probably myopia for which you are using spectacles. Since the power seems to be stable as you have not changed the spectacles and age is more than 21 years, you are eligible to undergo laser refractive surgeries to correct the refractive error. Laser refractive surgeries are done as day care procedures and they wont require stitches or bandage, hence they offer quick visual rehabilitation. They are one of the most successful surgeries with more than 98% of people being satisfied following surgery. The main side effects are dryness of eyes, under correction or over correction, and these can be prevented by proper pre operative examination. The drugs required after surgery are antibiotic eye drops and steroid eye drops for 2-4 weeks and artificial tears eye drops are required for 2-3 months. But you can resume the work by as early as 1 week. The approximate cost depend on the type of surgery, With LASIK costing around Rs. 30,000 Customized lasik costing around Rs. 40,000 Imtralase LASIK costing around Rs. 80,000 If you can tell me the place of your preference I can suggest you the hospitals. Hope the information is helpful to you. With regards Dr. Dadapeer K