What are the side effects of Epoetin Alfa?
User rating for this question
Just as the oncology group is aware that OTC Claritin p.o. is helpful for some patients in preventing the severe aches that may accompany a subcuatneous injection of Neulasta, is there an antidote for patients who are to recieve epoetin alfa? What are the most common ill side effects of the drug epoetin alfa?
Posted Mon, 24 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Kavita Paul 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Epoetin Alfa contains Erthropoietin . Detailed Answer: Hi, I appreciate your concern. Epoetin Alfa contains Erthropoietin. It is an injectable drug used for treating anaemia. The most common side effects which I observe in my patients are fever, hypertension, nausea, vomiting , headache, rash, cough , fatigue etc. These side effects are seen in few of the patients and a generally does not require any special medications. In my experience patients on inj. Epoetin Alfa generally do well and continue to use it on long term basis. Though life threatening side effects have being reported with its use, I have never seen any in my patients. Serious adverse cardiovascular reactions and stroke have being reported ,if it is used to target haemoglobin level of greater than 11g/dl. It has to be used cautiously in patients of cancer. So it depends for what indication you want to use it. In my knowledge ,there is no available antidote for Epoetin Alfa. In case patients develop any side effects, they are treated symptomatically . Hope this helped. Dr.Kavita Paul
People also viewed
- What are the side effects of epoetin alfa
- Is facial swelling a side effect of decitabine?
- Side effect of Epoetin alfa
- Is nausea or vomiting a side effect of dolacet?
- Robinul forte for irritable bowel
- Usage of Epoetin alfa
- Is dryness of mouth a side effect of donepezil?
- Is loss of appetite a side effect of donepezil?
- Is vomiting a side effect of darbepoetin alfa?
- Is trouble sleeping a side effect of diltiazem?
- Late stages of breast cancer
- What are the side effects of interferon alfa-2b and ribavirin?
- Grade 3 breast cancer survival
- Breast cancer survival with herceptin
- Hormone receptor positive breast cancer