What are the further tests to be taken after being diagnosed with ovarian cyst through USG?

Mar 2013
Hi. I've been experiencing intermittent lower right abdominal pains for about a week now. it feels like cramps, but I've not had my menses yet. A pelvic usg reported a right ovarian cyst (echo-free fluid) measuring (3.5 x 2.6)mm. I read more about it online and the general impression I get is that it's a common, benign, asymptomatic phenomenon and is no cause for alarm. My concern however is that in my case, though it doesn't measure up to 6cm (which I read would require removal), it is symptomatic, and the pain is terrible. Do I need to take another test? Drugs?
Posted Sun, 15 Dec 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. I have gone through your ultrasound report. It is indeed a benign, functional cyst ( one that results from a normal egg or follicle that retains fluid and persists as a cyst ). Most of them disappear on their own, and do NOT cause such severe pains as you describe. If you are symptomatic, then yes, drug treatment is indicated. Surgery is definitely not the first line of treatment for a small, simple, functional cyst. You can try taking painkillers, and cyclical oral contraceptive pills for 3 months. This will regulate cycles, help in endometrial hyperplasia, as well as help in the pain and resolution of the simple cyst. A repeat ultrasound should be done after 3 cycles of this treatment. If the cyst persists / increases in size / shows haemorrhage or solid contents within / pain is unrelenting despite medical management - laparoscopic cyst removal is the next step. I hope the ultrasound was done transvaginally, and not abdominally. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow-up: What are the further tests to be taken after being diagnosed with ovarian cyst through USG? 15 hours later
Thanks Doc. Im satisfied with your answer. Seems to support what I read online concerning my condition. God bless. NB. Scan was done abdominally. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 44 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your appreciation. I would insist that pelvic scans should be done transvaginally ONLY. Abdominal scans have very poor resolution and accuracy for pelvic pathologies. Do feel free to contact me anytime directly using the following link - WWW.WWWW.WW Take care. Wish you good health always.