What are the findings from the MRI report and what is the treatment for back pain?

Apr 2014

i have am 43 year old femaile. went to primary doctor and ob for back pain, hair loss, confusion. sent to rheumatologist. anatyter results came back 'ok' 'borderline'. vitamin d levels and iron very low. started mobic, 50,000 units 1xweek vitamin d, and iron supplements. just got mri results that stated abnormalities 'osseous ankylosis along inferior marginon saroiliac joint, on left which means joint fused on lower aspect of joint'. what does this mean??? RA said to stay on mobic, appointment this month to follow up, and prescribed PT. my mom has dystonia, kyphosis, and essential tremors and is very this what I have????
Posted Thu, 23 Jan 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You need MRI of L/S spine. Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Back pain may be due to many reasons. I presume all screening investigations has been done.You have mentioned about low vitamin D level.It may be the reason for pain.You are rightly prescribed Vitamin D supplementation. Analgesics are also rightly prescribed,but it can't be taken for long time.It has its side effect. MRI of L/S spine is important in your case.Back pain may be due to disc prolapse and it need to be ruled out. It is important to know about thyroid profile as altered thyroid status may cause back pain and hair loss. According to MRI reports there is there is bony fusion along inferior(lower aspect of joint)margin of saroiliac joint in left side.There is no need to be worried from this report.It may be age related and fusion can be considered as normal. I think you need physiotherapy besides vitamin D and iron supplementation. You also need to modify your life style and posture like don't abruptly bend forward and avoid standing for long time. Stress is also one of factor for hair loss and back pain so try to be happy in your life. Pain is not related to your mom illness.Don't worry about this. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX