What are the different brands of anti-rabies vaccines?

I was bitten by a Musk Shrew few days ago. The same day i visited the doctor and she gave me a tetanus injection and Abhayrab dose. She also advised me to take another 4 shots of abhayrab. She gave me a schedule when i should take the vaccine.

However I am unable to find that vaccine in chennai.

1) is it necessary to take another 4 abhayrab vaccines?
2) If it is then what alternate can I find in chennai medical stores.

Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 19 minutes later
Hi Shenaz,

Thanks for query.

What ever done till date is fine.

Any animal bite is capable of transmitting rabies. Musk shrew can some times transmit rabies. You must be aware the rabies is 100% fatal, so prevention is only option that we have.

This is the reason why it is important to complete the course.Please take as per schedule and take injection only on your arm, not on buttocks.

In case you do not find abhay rab, you can very well take any other anti rabies vaccine. There are various brands available, like Vaxirab, rabipur, XP rab etc. You can take any of them as option.

One of this must be available in Chennai.

I hope this answers your query, I will be available for follow up.