What are the chances of pregnancy despite taking ipill after unprotected sex?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
i had my periods on 6th dec 2012 den had unprotected sex on 22nd dec 2012 10:30am, there after i took one cipla i pill immediately after my contact.....12 hours later at 10:30pm i repeated one cipla i pill again......next on 23rd after 16 hours again repeated one pill again...as i dint wanted to get pregnant..my next periods is expected to be on 6th XXXXXXX 2013....but on 1st XXXXXXX by night 10pm i started bleeding pv but it is slightly lesser than my normal periods.....i m having still having dat bleeding its not stopped...plzz lemme can i be pregnant...
Posted Wed, 29 Jan 2014 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. See there are two possibilities right now - 1. In response to the emergency contraceptive pill, there would be some amount of withdrawal bleeding / spotting. What you are experiencing could be this. 2. This could be your normal period. The emergency contraceptive pill has a side effect of preponing or postponing your normal periods by a week or more, sometimes, upto ten days. To know if you are pregnant or not, just take a pregnancy test around the 10th of January. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Follow-up: What are the chances of pregnancy despite taking ipill after unprotected sex? 34 minutes later
should i do beta serum hcg to diagnose pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 36 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Well you can but it is an expensive and invasive blood test. It is better to wait for a week more and take a urine pregnancy test. That too would be reliable.

Follow-up: What are the chances of pregnancy despite taking ipill after unprotected sex? 1 hour later
i gave my blood for beta serum hcg and done my lab upt which was negative

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer: TOO EARLY FOR UPT Detailed Answer: It is too early for a lab UPT, as you had unprotected intercourse on 22nd December.