What are the chances of pregnancy after taking unwanted 72 BCP ?

I have missed my periods but the home test is not showing that i am pregnant. I want to confirm that I am not pregnant. I had unprotected sex.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 33 minutes later

Each woman ovulates at a different time in her menstrual cycle. Plus, the fertilized egg can implant in a woman’s uterus at different times. So, the accuracy of HPT results varies from woman to woman.

Sometimes women get false negative results when they test too early in the pregnancy. This means that the test says you are not pregnant when you are. Other times, problems with the pregnancy can affect the amount of hCG in the urine.

In case you have missed your period and a home pregnancy test (HPT) done within the first few days of the expected period, is negative, then it is recommended for a retest after one week after your missed period. Most HPTs will give you an accurate answer after one week.

If your repeat HPT is negative, even after 2 weeks or you have not got your menstrual periods by then, I would recommend you to undergo a blood testing for serum HCG levels to confirm your status. This test can be ordered by your doctor or OBGYN after a proper history and examination is done.

In case of doubts, a ultrasound might also be helpful.

In future, prevention of unwanted pregnancies can be achieved by use of emergency contraception pills (Plan B One-Step, Unwanted 72, I pill , Next Choice) which are available over-the-counter at most pharmacies. These pills have to be taken as soon as possible and less than 72 hours after unprotected sex.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: What are the chances of pregnancy after taking unwanted 72 BCP ? 2 hours later
Hello Sir,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I was not really detailed in my question. Although I had unprotected sex I had ipill with in 72 hours of it. Its been almost a month I have missed my periods and I have been doing pregnancy hometest every third day and I have tried 3 different brands just to confirm in case one brand doesn't work. In all the instances the test has been negative

Is it possible that ipill delayed my periods to this extend. I have irregular period instances also. I tend to relate it to weather, I am not sure to what extend I am write if I do so. In Delhi during May this year I had my periods in second week only and when I was in US (California) I had my periods after 2 months. In both the instances I didn't have unprotected sex.

Do I still need to go through the blood testing to know my pregnancy status? Or this is enough to ensure me that I am not pregnant? Please suggest.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later

It is unlikely that you are pregnant, since you already had taken unwanted 72. And it is surely the effect of unwanted 72, that you have missed your periods. You might probably get your periods as per the next cycle dates.

Since multiple HPTs have been negative, there is no need to repeat them again.

But the cause of irregular periods has to be evaluated and necessary treatment has to be initiated. Treatment shall include prescription medications (hormonal combination pills) to stabilize your uterine lining and help to regularize the cycles.

You might consult a gynaecologist, who can order a ultrasound to check for any issues in the uterus, before initiating the treatment for irregular periods.

I hope this clears your doubts.