What are the chances of getting rabies after being bitten by a guinea pig?

Afraid of rabies got bitten by a pet guinea pig. Bit out of fear
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: What are the chances of getting rabies after being bitten by a guinea pig? 9 minutes later
Guinea bit me and bleeded in two spots not a lot of blood but around 1 drip of blood when i squeezed it and about 2 drips after i sucked the wound. as soon as it bit me i squeezed the blood and sucked on it.

What are the chances of rabie? It dosnt have any symptons of rabies. Im a hypercondriac so for some reasona round 5 minutes after the bite i felt dizziness but i think its just myself because i hear rabies happens not that soon. The bite only hurts because it was a bite and the guinea pig bit me out of fear because i was trying to pet it and it just chomped on me.

Please help im afraid of getting rabies!

Also i feel dizzy after around 10 mintues after bite and my arm hurta a bit. But im a hypercondriac and the hurting inthe arm and the numbness in my tongue only started when i read about it online.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 minutes later

Its important to know where the bite occurred,as in which part of the body was involved.Also the wound has to be assessed.

The 3 main things to note here are site of injury,if there was damage to the underlying structures and infection.

The wound needs to be cleaned with fresh water and soap under a running tap for several minutes.Dont put anything on it till the wound has been assessed that there is no damage to the underlying structures.Leave it open if there is no bleeding.If there is,see a doctor immediately.

About the shots, it is best to take the shots both the immunoglobulins as well as the vaccination to prevent the develpoment of rabies.

Any signs of infection,like pus,discolouration etc from the site,seek medical help immediately.
Some doctors give antibiotics to prevent infection,so that can be done only after examination of the wound.

In my opinion,if the wound is superficial,on the limb,and there is no pain,bleeding etc then just wash with cold water and soap.

If the bite is on the arm,face etc then see a doctor.

Keep a watch on the pig to look out for signs like foaming at the mouth etc.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.
Follow-up: What are the chances of getting rabies after being bitten by a guinea pig? 53 minutes later
I was in on the middle finger and it seemed to bite out of fear. It is not a pig it is a Guinea Pig and it drinks and eats properly i purchased it today though.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 42 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

I meant to say guinea pig only.

Since you have purchased it today only, you are never sure of the past medical history.

It is best to get yourself vaccinated and monitor the guinea pig for any symptoms of rabies.

The presence of blood at the site of bite makes you more prone for the infection. You need to have antibiotics too.

Wishing you an early recovery.