What are the chances of getting STD after having unprotected oral sex?

Jan 2014

Hi. i just went to an escort and did not have sex, but i did receive oral sex. Not a lot though, just a little without a condom, but then i used a condom, did not have vaginal sex, but i did put it or just the head inside (with condom) and then finished off with oral with a condom. At some points I did put my fingers on her vaginal part. I have never had sex before, and she said that she was clean. But I am just a tad scared/anxious. Should I get tested? When? or is it not a concern? If I have to can I do it at home or something?
Posted Sat, 8 Feb 2014 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: Get Tested for STDs Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX In my opinion, you should get tested because the initial oral sex was unprotected. Rest of the actions were safe provided the condom was intact. All the common STDs i.e Herpes, HPV, Gonorrhoea, Chlamydia, Syphilis, HIV can be transmitted via oral sex. I would advice that you see a Dermatologist for a physical examination for any signs of STDs. Your dermatologist might ask you get a few lab tests for HIV (Antigen based for recent infection), Syphilis (VDRL) and Herpes (IGM ELISA). take care regards
Follow-up: What are the chances of getting STD after having unprotected oral sex? 23 minutes later
Thank you, but when should i get tested? after a week? 3 months? now?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 14 hours later
Brief Answer: Now and repeat testing after 3 months Detailed Answer: Hi. Sorry for the late reply If i was your treating doctor i would have wanted you to undergo testing for HIV, HSV ELISA(IgG and IgM) and VDRL at the earliest opportunity available (may be within a week) and then Repeat testing for these after 3 months to account for window period. (window period for a test designed to detect a specific disease is the time between first infection and when the test can reliably detect that infection. In antibody-based testing, the window period is dependent on the time taken for seroconversion. In HIV it is usually 3-6 months). take care regards
Follow-up: What are the chances of getting STD after having unprotected oral sex? 2 hours later
Final question, I know this is to be safe, but how likely might i or any other receiver get STDs from what I described?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: The risk is less but not Zero. Detailed Answer: Hi. -The risk of HIV transmission through oral sex is much less than that from anal or vaginal sex—but not zero. -The exact risk is hard to measure because most people who practice oral sex also practice other forms of sex during the same encounter. -If the person performing oral sex has HIV, blood from their mouth may enter the body of the person receiving oral sex through the lining of the urethra (the opening at the tip of the penis) or through cuts and sores during fellatio. -Factors that may increase the risk of HIV transmission through oral sex are oral ulcers, bleeding gums, and the presence of other sexually transmitted infections. -Barrier methods can help lower the risk of getting HIV and other STIs from oral sex. take care regards
Follow-up: What are the chances of getting STD after having unprotected oral sex? 0 minute later
But I want to know about the chances of Herpes and the other STDs not HIV
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 54 minutes later
Brief Answer: Exact risk is hard to know Detailed Answer: Hi. The exact risk is hard to measure and no one really knows the exact risk because the reality of the situation is that majority of individuals engaging in sexual acts with each other are doing more than simply oral sex. The moral of the story, unless you are engaging in unprotected oral sex with individuals that are negative (meaning that they actually test for HIV and know their status), not sharing injection drugs with others, and only having sex with you, there is always a chance. The risk of transmission of a particular STI depends on the recent prevalence data of that particular STI in that region. Herpes presents the biggest threat of transmission through oral sex. The other leading risk through oral sex is gonorrhea. Chlamydia and syphilis are in the second XXXXXXX of risk through oral sex. Generally, though, it’s believed to be uncommon. So, it’s hard to nail down the exact risk of unprotected oral sex. The most important point is that it’s all relative, and oral sex isn’t risk-free. take care regards