What are the causes of splitting headaches during orgasm and how can it be treated ?

I am a 59 year old married lady. I underwent Angioplasty 3 years ago. There after, I have been coping up with the reality, treatment advise of my doctors,food and other regimen as prescribed.
I have a virtually normal life and daily routine. I have a reasonably normal sex life too. We have about once a week sex. Things have never been so difficult, till very recently - I got sudden splitting headache during orgasm. Since similar thing was repeated the next occasion, we are scared about it. We would never venture any further. It is going to affect my husband too and it may alter our entire
outlook and life style.Besides, I would like as much as my husband too would like to know the medical implications of this symptom and remedy if any. Does not it give indication of something more serous? Since I have undergone a procedure for CAD, i need to know to be more sure.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Women Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 9 minutes later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms. These splitting headaches can be due to Preorgasmic and Orgasmic headaches. The other possibility is precipitation of Migraine headaches in some patients of CAD.

Sexual activity is an exertional activity which can cause exertional or sexual headache. This type of headache can occur during intercourse (preorgasmic headache) or during orgasm (orgasmic headache).

Preorgasmic headache typically appears as a dull ache in the head and neck that slowly intensifies with sexual excitement. Orgasmic headaches usually present as a severe pain during orgasm. Also migraine is an independent vascular risk factor of stroke, especially ischemic stroke.

Thirdly, CAD (coronary artery disease) is another cause of sexual headaches as well. But it is important to rule out other causes like Subarachnoid Hemorrhage, bleeding into the wall (Dissection) of an artery leading to the brain, Sinus Infection, Glaucoma and Stroke as well.

I suggest you a Neurologist’s examination and CT head to rule out these causes. Also get the eye tension checked by an ophthalmologist to rule out any Glaucoma. Your doctor may also order a Cerebral Angiogram, a test that can visualize the neck and brain arteries.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.