What are the causes for thick blood?

hi i just had a medical check and my blood drawn the guy who drew the blood said my blood was too thick. can you tell me what causes this and is there any thing to worry about?
Posted Mon, 25 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later
Brief Answer: viscosity of blood may be more(hyperviscosity) Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic! The lab guy who said that Your blood was too thick may have meant that the viscosity of blood may be more(hyperviscosity). If this is the case, the causes of it would be few things like:from increased blood components like white or red blood cells or protein fractions of the blood which inturn is caused by certain other conditions. Please confirm, whether he meant this or some other thing. If he meant this, then the components which are increased in blood would tell what to do further. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have have any clarifications. If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!
Follow-up: What are the causes for thick blood? 8 minutes later
yes he said that viscosity of blood and he ask if i eat a lot of meat, the blood has gone off for testing but will be a couple of days before i get the results. but its got me worried so trying to find out some more info ?
Answered by Dr. Guru 13 minutes later
Brief Answer: Refer below Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks follow up! As I mentioned earlier, there are variety of things that can cause hypercicosity mainly due to increased blood components like white or red blood cells or protein fractions. Causes range from connective tissue diseases, chronic smoking to leukemias, myeloproliferative disorders, Waldenström macroglobulinemia and multiple myeloma. However, physical examination and other investigation findings are necessary to suspect anything as such. Talk to your PCP with report. Hope I have answered your query. Wish you good health!