Western blot antigen test for HIV1 showing P24, P55. Possible for amantadine to give false results?

is it possible for amantadine to cause false results in an hiv test with p24 p55 ?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 28 hours later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

p24 and p55 are the early detections in a western blot antigen test for HIV1.

Amantadine has one relation with viral action, where it inhibits uncoating of influenza virus. But, this action has no interference with HIV virus although this drug was used in the past for treating HIV, which was not a success. It is also used in Parkinson's, post head injury with a different mechanism of action.

I do not gather any report/study which has added this drug to the many false positive causes for western blot. So, it is not possible.

And the sensitivity of these Antigen tests for HIV1 is reported as 99.5% - 0.5% is a lot in medicine across a population to allow many false positives reported. So, if you believe that your son's HIV status is not correlating with his history of just head injury, then he would need further review of his HIV status with more tests and examinations.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.