Watery vaginal discharge after ovulation period, lower abdominal pain, spotting

Question
For the past year, I have been having this watery fluid that gushes out of my vagina. It happens between ovulation to just before my cycle starts. When I stand up, it runs out, anywhere from a few tablespoons to 1/4 cup (where my clothes are completely soaked). I do get moderate overy pain during those 2 weeks. And there is also spotting during those times as well. My periods are completely regular though, 28 days, and 5 days long. Do you know what this is?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I would not be concerned much about your situation because it is not uncommon for a woman during her pre-menopausal years to experience watery vaginal discharge around ovulation which may go on till the next cycle starts which advocates that the hormonal influences are intact. Clear and watery discharge occurs at different times of your cycle and can be particularly heavy after exercising or doing some strenuous physical activity.

This discharge is formed by the normal bacteria and fluids the vaginal cells put off and it can be more noticeable at different times of the month depending on ovulation and menstrual flow but sometimes the discharge can be dark, brown or discolored.

I want you to be aware of symptoms like, yellow or XXXXXXX colored discharge, discharge with bad odor, or if it is clumpy or cheese like. Watch out for itching, discomfort, rash or sores along with a vaginal discharge. If you happen to notice any of the above mentioned symptoms, seek instant medical help.

In view of the fact that you have had a Ovaraian cyst removal surgery, and currently you have pain during those 2 weeks prior to your next cycle, I would want you to get yourself examined by a Competent Gynecologist to rule out if everything is fine by doing a per vaginal examination and corroborating his/her clinical findings by suggesting a Ultrasound scan.

Hope my answer has done justice to the query submitted by you, please accept it if you have no follow-up queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.

Follow-up: Watery vaginal discharge after ovulation period, lower abdominal pain, spotting 28 minutes later
Maybe I need to clarify the amount...this is not typical ovulation fluid, most days when this happens, there's so much fluid it reminds me of my water breaking when I was pregnant. It actually looks like I've urinated but I haven't, this happens all day long too. The fluid can even be lightly tinted with blood. Some days are lighter then others, and then when my period comes, I have heavy bleeding with clots, mind you the period is only 5 days but its 5 heavy days with clots that range from grape to plum size. I've never had pains before, nor any of this fluid this. The last time I had pain I ended up in the ER with an overy about to burst because of a hairy cyst that was larger then a grapefruit. So I'm concerned that this could be worse. So I'm just wanting to clarify to make sure that this "normal" for women, because it scares me. Thank you for being patient with me and trying to help, I really appreciate it.

Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 24 minutes later

Thank you for writing back to me.

You are welcome for being pleased about my response. Your follow-up query has much detailed description of your problem which you hadn't mentioned earlier.

After going through your detailed history and considering your previous 2 caesarean section and surgery of ovarian cyst, I feel the possibility of Vesicovaginal fistula. Vesicovaginal fistula is abnormal tract developed between bladder and vagina allowing passage of urine through vagina. Usually this is a complication of prolonged labor, but even pelvic surgical procedures can also contribute.

You need detailed evaluation by Gynecologist to rule out this possibility. He/she may order few investigations like double XXXXXXX test, ultrasound, etc.

Other possibility could be urinary incontinence. The fluid you are passing could be only urine due to urinary incontinence and not through vagina. I can talk only in terms of possibilities, as I lack the opportunity to examine you. So kindly get yourself evaluated so that the cause can be confirmed. Treatment will follow according to the cause.

Your history also implies Menorrhagia which is the medical idiom for menstrual periods in which bleeding is abnormally heavy or prolonged with passing of large blood clots. There are innumerable causes for this, like, Hormonal imbalance, Uterine fibroids, Uterine polyps which are small, benign growths on the lining of the uterine wall, Adenomyosis where in glands from the endometrium become implanted in the uterine muscle, often causing heavy bleeding along with painful menses and cancer like uterine, ovarian cancer or cervical cancer can also cause heavy menstrual bleeding.

Since you have had a bad Gynecologic history, I would want to you to seek immediate medical attention without any impediment so that all obligatory tests could be done to exclude the precise cause for your symptoms. Kindly don't get alarmed as everything will be fine if the tests turn out to be normal. Avoid stress and keep yourself relaxed.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.