Water blister on left inner thigh. Is this the cause for concern?

Dec 2013

I have what looks like a water blister thats 1.5 mm wide on my left inner thigh towards the top near my groin. the area (1.5 inch diam) around it is light is pink and very very slightly wrinkled near the bump itself. Im not sure that it is a water blister it looks more like a blood blister and only hurts when i poke it. It randomly popped up last night and im not sure what its from. im 18 if that helps at all, this is the first and only sighting of one of these things, what should i do I? PS. it looks a bit watery because i tried to pop it thinking it was a blister...
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly see the mail below

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for posting your query to Healthcare magic.

I can understand your concern regarding the skin problem.

After reading your complete query and thoroughly analyzing the picture I can make the best possibility of simple Boil or also known as folliculitis.

Let you understand the basics of your problem. The origin of the problem is basically from hair root or oil gland. Now both of these structures are interrelated.
When the oil glands or hair root get infected by any infectious agent such as by a bacteria then it leads to folliculitis proper and are commonly known as boils. Is characterized by redness, pain and discharge from it which appears as pus filled blister.

At thigh area near the groin, there is always a tendency of high moisture and friction when we are sitting. It is always a closed area leading to sweating and thus infection and boil formation.

I would like to guide you for the preventive care. These are as follows:

1. Do not pinch, pop or squeeze the affected areas.

2. Do not self apply any creamy or oily stuff.

3. Try to avoid any home remedies.

4. Try avoiding situations of heat, sweating and humidity for long hours. Do not take hot showers and avoid heavy exercise and gym for few days. Do not sit for long hours.

5. Take two times bath. Gently wash the affected area with the antibacterial or simple soap.

6. You can apply antibiotic creams such as gentamycin or mupirocin on affected area.

7. If pain is present then can take any good pain killer tablet available over the counter such as paracetamol for two times a day. If itching is present then can take loratadine tablet (claritin) for 2 times.

If the area is not reducing in size or is increasing in next 24-48 hours then you can XXXXXXX a family physician who can prescribe you antibiotics in proper dose. But I expect that if you are not scratching or pinching the area or if not touching the area then it will reduce in next 72 hours. It will be forming a scab an will fall of in next 7-10 days of period, so do not also fiddle with the scab too.

Hope these informations will help you. If you have any further query I will be glad to help.

Dr Sanjay
MD (Dermatology)