Was hospitalised with dengue fever. After discharge, noticed rashes on hands and thighs. What should I do?

Question
I was hospitalised for 2 days with dengue fever (report attached)and was discharged on 15 October 2013. This morning I found rashes on hands and thighs. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 7 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Platelet count and hydration very important

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Welcome to health care magic.
Dengue fever has waxing and waning course frequently and can cause significant thrombocytopenia.
Because you have been recently got treated for dengue fever, it is possible that you may have reactivation of the same disease.
The rash on their hands and foot signify thrombocytopenia and you should get a complete blood count to get the exact count of the platelets so that treatment can be planned.
If the platelet count is very low then you may need hospitalization and hydration.
If platelet count is very low then you may need platelet transfusion.
Hydration is very important in management of dengue.
While at home you should make sure that you consume at least 3-4 litres of liquids everyday.
Ideally we should get in investigated and evaluated by a local physician and follow the advice.
I hope the advice will be helpful for you.

Follow-up: Was hospitalised with dengue fever. After discharge, noticed rashes on hands and thighs. What should I do? 46 minutes later
Platelet count on 15th October was 2.5. I just have the rashes but no fever. Should i do another platelet count?
I had my platelet count and the report says its 2,10, 000. Please advise

Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
ensure hydration get USG abdomen

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXX,
Welcome back.
Your platelet counts are so good.
I think the dengue fever should subside soon.
Keep well hydrated, take lots of household liquids like juices, soups and fruits along with nutritious diets.
Did they do an Ultrasound of whole abdomen during admission for dengue.
If no please get it done in view of recent cholecystectomy and fever.
Sometimes there can be collections in abdomen which can cause similar troubles.
I hope you will get well soon.