Warfarin, blood clots, periods, heavy bleeding, light bleeds post sex, causes. Treatment ?

i am 38 8stone 4pounds am on warfarin for blood clots and last month i went on holiday to XXXXXXX i came on my period while i was there and was on for 2 weeks heavily [alot heavier than normal] and since i have had light bleeds in between after sex and after a cervical smear could you give me a possible cause please
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later

Having heavy bleeding during periods with bleeding after sex and after a cervical smear shows that your dosage of warfarin needs to be reduced. The warfarin that you are taking has caused the excessive bleeding and now you need to have your coagulation profile, PT, APTT and INR checked.

The dose of warfarin needs to be titrated according to the report. Taking any pain killers will precipitate the bleeding. Thus, avoid taking any pain killer.

If your coagulation profile comes normal, then other causes of excessive uterine bleeding like fibroid, polyp, cervical dysplasia, vaginal infections, etc need to be ruled out after proper examination and investigations from your gynecologist.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.