Want information on hair transplant. What is the success ratio?

I am taking Dr. Batras treatment about hair loss from last 3 years but result is not that satisfactory. I can clearly see my scalp and very few hairs at the top. I need detail information about hair transplant. If is good for me , whats the success ration, how to do it , what will be result I can expect etc.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 29 hours later
From the description provided it seems you have androgenetic alopecia or male pattern baldness. Here hair loss occurs from frontal, temporal and/ or central area( vertex) under genetic and hormonal control.
Treatment required depends upon extent of involvement
1) only two drugs are US FDA approved for the same
- minoxidil solution 5 percent 1 ml to be used twice in a day
- finesteride tablet 1 mg once in a day.

It is said medical management offers good results if hair fall is of less than 5 yr duration involves mainly vertex area and area of involvement is less than 10 cm square. So in such cases we initially proceed with medicines. Even if transplant is planned, initially before and after transplant, medicines are advised to promote good hair growth.

2) hair transplantation
Preferred in advanced cases of hair loss where medical therapy fails to work.
Usually follicular units consisting 2 to 4 hair follicle is taken from occipital area( as this area is resistant to hair fall). Number of follicular unit required depends upon the area of bald recipient patch. Usually 2000 to 4000 units are harvested
It is painless as is done under local anaesthesia.
After the transplant, the transplanted hair may fall for two to six weeks and eventually growth begins after two to three months which continues till an year. So the response takes usually 6 months to an year to be perceived.
Success rates are 95 to 96 percent and results are permanent ie procedure once done ensures permanent hair growth.
Side effects are rare and uncommonly scalp folliculitis or boils may occur. These can be treated with antibiotics.

In your case whether transplant would be a good option or not can only be commented upon, if you could upload an image of concerned area. If hair fall is localised medical treatment would work too.

Hope that helped.
Follow-up: Want information on hair transplant. What is the success ratio? 2 days later
Thanks for your reply Dr. Kalpana. I am sending some photos please review them and advice me next step to follow.
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 21 hours later
Thanks for sending the pics.
I have gone through all the attached images. You have hair loss from temporal and central / vertex area. If we follow the grading for hair loss ( Norwood and XXXXXXX grading), you lie in grade 3( grade 3 V = 3 vertex).
Uptill grade 3, we follow medical management and so you should start with finesteride and minoxidil solution. As both the above are prescription drugs, a consultation with qualified dermatologist is mandatory.

Dr Batra being a homeopathy centre, you might not have been on above drugs. Hence instead of trying for transplant directly, follow medical management first at least for four to six months.

Hope that helped.