Vomiting, headaches, cold sweats, chills, no fever, loss of appetite, nausea. Viral infection ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My husband came home yesterday not feeling well. Later, he vomited and complained of a headache, he was in a cold sweat, he had chills, even though he felt warm, no fever, although he was warm. Today he feels like he doesn't have a good appetite, he feels a little queesy, and still has a bit of a headache. Can you tell me if this is a virus?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 11 minutes later

Has he eaten food from outside the house, like from roadside vendors?
Has he vomited any blood?
Does he have fever, please do check again with the thermometer?
Is there any loose stools, jaundice, chest pain?
Is he passing blood in urine, any bleeding spots in the mouth, from nose or does he appear pale?

Yes, It is possible he has the stomach flu or Viral gastroenteritis.

The fact that he has a headache, vomiting, goes in favour of viral origin though is not conclusive.

He needs to be well hydrated. I would recommend that he take WHO-Oral rehydration solution (ORS)as a good source of fluid and electrolytes as this is standard of care for those losing fluid from gastrointestinal tract.

Mix one XXXXXXX of WHO-ORS in a bottle of previously boiled and cooled water and administer it to him as much as he wants, but preferably in sips if he is still vomiting.

If he has fever he can take Paracetamol/Acetaminophen provided he has no known allergies to this drug. Also eat diet XXXXXXX in proteins like cereals, pulses, chicken but avoid anything spicy. He can have yoghurt or curds with sugar to help keep his stomach in good condition and prevent excess vomiting.

This treatment should work, but if he is not getting better within 3-4 days he will require to be examined by his Doctor to rule out other causes or complications of viral fever.

Watch out for severe abdominal pain, severe intractable vomiting, coughing blood or nasal bleed, dizziness, weakness, or not passing enough urine; physical consultation with a physician is entailed.. He may also be given anti-emetic under medical supervision to stop excessive vomiting.

Let him keep warm. Avoid cold food or fluid intake.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.