Vitamin D2 and D3 tested. Having pain in shoulders and lower back. Could I take Amway Cal Mag D supplements?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I got my wife Vitamin D2/D3 tested and result was v3, which is quite low. Need opinion about the supplement that we can take to stablize the Vitamin D levels. She complains of body pain in shoulder, lower back. We were told by friends to take Amway Cal Mag D supplements. Please advise.
Posted Tue, 10 Sep 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Let me know her vit D3 level

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

When the blood level is below 30 ng/mL, a minimum of 1,500 to 2,000 IU/day of vitamin D3 tablets would be required for adults.

Let me know her vit D3 level so that I can help you in better way.

Awating your reply.......

Follow-up: Vitamin D2 and D3 tested. Having pain in shoulders and lower back. Could I take Amway Cal Mag D supplements? 33 minutes later
Thanks for your quick reply. I have attached my wife report. Her current Vitamin D3 level is 3.
Please advise the suitable medicine/supplements.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Cholicalciferal (vit D3) sachets or tablets.

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the report attached. Her vitamin D level is quite low.

She can take cholecalciferol (vit D3) sachets or chewable tablets 60,000 IU once a week for eight weeks to achieve a blood level of vit D3 above 30 ng/ml, followed by maintenance therapy of 1,500-2,000 IU/day. For optimal absorption, take these supplement with the meal that contains the most fat.

Recheck her blood vit D3 levels after 3 months.

I also suggest her to take 10-15 minutes of sun exposure at least two times per week to the face, hands, arms, or back without sunscreen.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries. I would appreciate your reviews about this service.
Wishing her speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Vitamin D2 and D3 tested. Having pain in shoulders and lower back. Could I take Amway Cal Mag D supplements? 2 hours later
Thank you doctor for the advise.
Can we take below supplements from Amway:
1) NUTRILITE® Cal Mag D
2) NUTRILITE® Bone Health with Ipriflavone .

Appreciate your advise.

Thanks,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
She can take these supplements.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Abishek,

She can take these supplements in prescribed doses.